With gratitude, respect, honor and love, TeenNow is proud to introduce our Person of the Year, Barbara Huberman! There are few people who have influenced teen pregnancy prevention efforts more than Barbara. She has been involved in adolescent sexuality and sexuality education for more than 40 years.
Barbara’s influence is nationwide and, deep in the community level efforts. She earned a BS degree in Nursing and a Masters in Education from the University of North Carolina. Barbara is a certified sex educator and counselor. She is the founder and former president of the nationally recognized Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Coalition of North Carolina and helped organize and create the South Carolina Campaign. Forrest Alton, CEO of the SC Campaign has this to say about Barbara Huberman, “ She is the brains and the inspiration behind so much of the good work that is happening here in our state.” All statewide coalitions, including TeenNow, feel exactly the same. Her achievement list is lengthy. Some of her stellar work includes:
- Foundation Board Member of the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy
- National Director of Training and Sexuality Education for Advocates for Youth.
- Creator of National Teen Pregnancy Prevention month
- Founder of “Let’s Talk Month” in October
- Former President of the National Campaign on Adolescent Pregnancy, Parenting and Prevention (Healthy Teen Network)
She has authored several books including “200 Way to Prevent Teen Pregnancy” and “Building Local Councils on Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention”.
TeenNow is proud to honor Barbara Huberman as our 2014 Person of the Year.